Monyash, in the Peak District Contact Us!
Home About Monyash Local Features Interests Accommodation Local News Links
Church Methodist Chapel Mere Pinfold Play Area Pub Quaker Chapel School
Smithy Cafe Toilets Village Green

Quaker ChapelOn the opposite side of the road to the chapel is the former meeting house of the Society of Friends (Quakers). John Gratton (1640-1711), the founder of the Quakers, lived in Monyash between 1668 and 1702 and used the village as a base for his missionary tours to many parts of the British Isles. The meeting house was erected shortly after his death, in 1717. It is built of limestone and is lit by a large window and two smaller ones, still glazed with square leaded panes. Inside the building is a screened gallery where women worshippers were segregated from the menfolk.

Quaker Chapel
Photographs by Shirley Johnston