Monyash, in the Peak District Contact Us!
Home About Monyash Local Features Interests Accommodation Local News Links
Church Methodist Chapel Mere Pinfold Play Area Pub Quaker Chapel School
Smithy Cafe Toilets Village Green

St Leonard's is a surprisingly large church for such a small village and has an equally surprising history. It contains many unusual and intriguing features including a sedilia and piscina which were installed around 1199. The church, built out of local limestone, dates back to before 1200 when it comprised a chancel and nave. By the end of the 14th century the church had grown to its present size with north and south aisles and transepts and a three-stage tower capped by an octagonal spire. The church is a grade II* listed building of national importance.

Church
Photograph by Shirley Johnston

A major restoration project was completed in 2006. It involved major work to the tower, the repair of crumbling stone work around some of the medieval windows, an improved heating system and improvements to the interior, including new lighting, lime washing of the rendered wall surfaces, the relocation of the organ, restoration of the woodwork, new carpets and kneelers.
(Click here for a full report of the 1996-2006 restoration and information about more recent maintenance work and future plans.)

Church
The Redecorated Church
Church
Organ relocated, new carpets and kneelers
Church
Seeing the Chancel in a New Light

Photographs by Robert Johnston